This year’s Summer School will be held remotely via Zoom. Future Summer Schools will be held in person on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia or at the University of Georgia’s Complex Carbohydrate Research Center in Athens, Georgia
There is no charge for participating in GlycoMIP Summer School 2021, though pre-registration is required.
Who Should Attend:
- Graduate and post-doctoral researchers who are new to glycomaterials and seek an overview of the science, or who may wish to use GlycoMIP facilities to conduct research
- Undergraduate students interested in pursuing graduate research on glycomaterials
- Advanced researchers within industry or academia interested in synthesis, analytical or computational capabilities of GlycoMIP facilities
- Industry scientists who are new to glycomaterials science and who seek an overview of the field
Participants should have completed a science or engineering degree, or are close to finishing in the case of undergraduate participants, as familiarity with basic chemical concepts will be assumed.
Information on instructors can be found here.
What You Will Learn:
Glycomaterials are natural materials containing or comprising carbohydrates. Understanding the relationships between their molecular structure and biological function promises to catalyze critical advances in human health and the environmental impact of society. GlycoMIP, a new National Science Foundation (NSF) Materials Innovation Platform (MIP), aims to accelerate glycomaterials science and innovation through leading-edge research, expert education and training activities, and a national user facility, offering unique services and capabilities.
GlycoMIP’s inaugural Summer School will cover fundamental and applied concepts specific to the research and service areas of the MIP:
- Glycomaterials – introduction and overview of the current state of the science
- GlycoMIP – Synthesis: Overview of glycan synthesis and introduction to GlycoMIP’s automated glycan synthesizers, provided by GlycoUniverse
- GlycoMIP – Analytical: Overview of mass spectrometry, NMR, surface characterization, binding assays, rheology and optical spectroscopy applied to glycomaterials
- GlycoMIP – Modeling: Computational methods and capabilities for glycomaterials
Summer School 2021 will employ synchronous learning via Zoom, with two topics covered daily. Instruction will be organized into two, two-hour sessions each day, with an extended break between morning and afternoon sessions. Day Five will meet once, in the morning only. Q&A time will follow each lecture, and panel discussions on the last day will offer additional time for questions and discussion.
Upon completion, participants will better understand the science of glycomaterials and the focus of research and user services of GlycoMIP in its three focus areas; Synthesis, Analytical, and Modeling. There is no charge for Summer School 2021, though registration is required.
The agenda can be viewed or downloaded here.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be available for those that require them; an additional registration process will be required. Note that in order to accurately award credits, attendance will be taken during each session.
For More Information:
Contact Linda Caudill, GlycoMIP Managing Director, at 540-231-7092 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.